Bridge Reconstruction Part 2

Part 2 of our bridge reconstruction involved finding the right lumber to support the traffic that will be crossing it for years to come. The old bridge was originally made of Ash beams laid across the gap. These were not skinned, and with the bark still on them had become a home for insects over the years to weaken them structurally. I was originally going to use Ash trees for the beams until I found some Oak that was perfect! After felling the trees, I dragged them to an area where I could work on them. Skinning the bark was a bit of a chore – I found an old ice chipper to use as a bark spud and removed the bark. Next step was to flatten the tops of them so that the boards will lay flat. For this step I used an flat adze and hewed down the top surface.

Stay tuned for more…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s